Monday, May 11, 2015

Continuing Conversation (In and Outside of Class!)

This past week has been a lot of wrapping up.  Making final blog posts, going on final adventures (I'm gonna post them all I promise), and seeing the project come together as a whole.  It was awesome to get to hear the voices project and their completed work and see all the research we have done come together on a map.

Not related to the class, but related to the rest of the world going on around us, I went to the second Teach In on campus, this time hosted by UMBC for Ferguson.  I am glad I attended the event, and I heard a lot of new perspectives on the events, coming from community activists and others.  However, the next day I was talking to someone and they asked me how the event was, and I found myself at a loss of words.  I'm glad I went, really glad (and I don't think I could say this enough), but I felt like there was something missing.  It could have been that they needed another panelist, or an additional perspective, I'm not sure.  I just didn't leave feeling the same way I did with the other Teach In.  I learned about ways to get involved, but at the same time I didn't.  This is probably really confusing because I'm equally as confused as to how I felt after attending the event. Maybe it's my privilege making me feel uncomfortable?

I'm glad that I am on a college campus that allows for these sorts of conversations to be had, and that I have friends, peers, and professors willing to have these meaningful conversations.  I hope that they continue in a with not for kind of way.  I think classes like ours allow for that to happen.  As the class comes to a close, I'm actually really impressed with the work we have done thus far.  I am additionally very excited to see how the research we've done and the voices we have collected are used in continued courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment