Thursday, May 14, 2015

Adventure time: Pizza is for Squares (no srsly get the risotto)

My roommate and I love pizza.  So much that for the past five semesters we've decided to partake in our own spreadsheet based project, which we call Tour de Pizza, that outlines the many amazing pizza shops that Baltimore has to offer.  In this spreadsheet we outline recommended dishes, hours, locations, and overall opinions once we've had a slice (or four...sometimes you just gotta try a lot of pizza).
part of the Tour de Pizza spreadsheet

It started out with typical pizza places like Sorrentos of Arbutus, Matthew's on Eastern Avenue, and of course Joe Squared, but since our first semester, we've definitely expanded outside our ususal toppings and locations.  For whatever reason though we had been to Joe Squared in Powerplant Live, usually before seeing a show at Rams Head, or just because we knew we could get discounted parking in a garage after 5pm.  So with this class, I decided we'd make the trip, risk the idea of parallel parking, and go to the original Joe Squared in Station North.

Since we were familiar with the restaurant and the menu, my roommate and I got our favorite, the flag pizza (which is the best and is three different types of sauces pesto, classic red, and garlic/white) and decided we would try something new: risotto.  People talk about how Joe Squared is known for pizza but it's also known for it's risotto and wow why hadn't I tried it before because it's life changing.


flag pizza

*life changing* lamb risotto

I know that sounds really extreme but I've never had anything as good as the lamb risotto I ate at Joe Squared.  I think I now dream of it and I talk to my roommate at least once a week about how we will never amount to cooking anything as good as that risotto.  As for parking, it really wasn't that bad.  I think I like the North Avenue restaurant more than the one located in Powerplant.  While it's a little further out of the way, the atmosphere is awesome, it's (a little) bigger, and super close to other Station North businesses to make a day or night out of getting some food and ~hitting the town~.

No comments:

Post a Comment