Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Bim Im Bop Blog

I cheated on my first experience with Korean food, or as I like to think of it I came very prepared.  I took my friend, Ji Sung (who is from South Korea), with me to the unofficial Korea Town of Station North.  With google maps and my friend, who would act as my food expert and translator for the day, we made our way to Maryland Avenue to Beone Korean BBQ.

I spent a long time looking at the menu, being warned that it could be crazy spicy, and I made my friend aware of all of my hesitations as we went section by section until deciding that I would get Bim Im Bop, a rice and meat dish, cooked and served in a piping hot stone bowl.  While we waited for our food, we were brought condiments and sides for our meal including kimchi and other pickled vegetables.  My friends and I thought we were supposed to eat them first, but our expert warned up otherwise.  We tried something like a seafood pancake which was alright, but I was really scared for the main course.  The idea of red chili sauce scared me, but I blame that hype on my friends, but the sizzling and actively boiling bowls of soup and bim im bop definitely made me terrified that my mouth would probably burn off.  Our food arrived, we cracked eggs into our bowls, and dug in.


The verdict: it was so good.  I would eat it again, maybe a little less spice (so spicy omg), but I didn't burn my tongue off or anything crazy like that.  My friends all talked about wanting to come back soon and I hope we will.  Korean food seems like perfect food for when you're sick.  It's so spicy that it'll definitely help you breathe if you're congested, but also it's just a warm food.







No comments:

Post a Comment