Thursday, May 14, 2015

Going Back to Camp Firewood

I had planned on returning to Station North a few Sundays ago, but after violence had broken out at Camden Yards the day before leaving tensions high around the city, I figured that it might not be the best time to go be a carefree tourist when the atmospheres was much less jovial down North Avenue.

Instead this fake adventure blog is about my visit to another arts and entertainment district in the city: Highlandtown.  The arts and entertainment district is for the most part run out of the Creative Alliance located in the old Patterson Theater located at East Ave and Eastern Avenue, right down from Patterson Park.  I will be working as an administrative intern at the nonprofit this summer, so after interviewing the week before, I was invited to come back to a viewing of one of my favorite movies ever, which the Creative Alliance was collaborating with City Paper to host.

Wet Hot American Summer, while only having like a 31% on Rotten Tomatoes or something like that, is arguably one of the best films I have ever seen.  Yeah, I was in first grade when it came out, but that doesn't mean I cannot still appreciate the mega babe that is Paul Rudd circa 2001.  The movie was amazing, and the programming behind the event was even better.  People came dressed as their favorite characters, ultimate party packs (for a made up WHAS game) were purchased, and drinks were filled as an unofficial drinking game took place throughout the movie.  People were into it.  There was a brief intermission where a costume contest and talent show (similar to the one on the movie) took place, capture the flag was played for prizes, and the audience cheered as the camp was saved from a falling piece of Skylab.

Events like these are so awesome and I can't wait to work at the Creative Alliance this summer and get to help with things like the Folklife Festival and see the BROS Rock Opera 6-Pack (which will be my third/fourth BROS performance)!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment